This 1957 ranch is in need of some brightening up. Over the years the baseboards have taken a beating and there are plenty of holes from nails and push-pins. Additionally, many of the window mullions were painted, but never scraped (which leaves me to do them now). While I won’t be fully restoring the moldings, doors or windows, I want to give the place a first rate paint job on a budget that suits the house. The most important thing is that the house feel fresh and clean to the next person who lives there.
Scraping & Taping
The windows had clearly been painted in the past, as evidenced by the paint left on the glass. This is not an uncommon way to paint windows, but it is generally followed up by scraping the glass clean with a razor blade. Most of the windows looked about like the one below.
The baseboards were also pretty bad and had a lot of wear near the bottom edge. This means they need to be taped off in order to get adequate coverage without the worry of transferring paint to the hardwood floors. Some of the quarter-round was stained in the past, which required a primer coat, and there were quite a few separations, gaps, and holes that needed to be filled.
The door facings and remaining trim were also showing signs of heavy wear.
Caulk & Paint
The baseboards have a nice contrast to the walls and floor now.
I tested a small area on the built-ins, just to see how different they would look. I can’t wait to see how much better they look when finished.
While the first coat dries on the built-ins, I started working on the closets. There was quite a bit of caulking to be done, and most of the shoe molding around the base of the closets was unpainted, so I spent some time priming as well. Even partially finished, they look much better.
The built-ins are starting to improve quite a bit, as are the doors.